Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The decision to self-publish

Ask any writer about self-publishing and after the initial shriek of horror and glazed-over look like a sedated dachshund listening to a Barry Manilow CD, you are sure to hear that it is the kiss of death.  So why are so many writers trying their hand at self-publishing? 

Some writers are impatient.  They are tired of the search for an agent.  Tired of their "baby" dying a cold, hard death at the bottom of endless slush piles.  Tired of rejection letters.  Just. Plain. Old. Tired.  Others are sucked in by the thought of seeing their novel in print.  (yeah, yeah I understand the concept of Vanity Publishing.)  Add to this the simplicity with which one can now self-publish (I swear a trained monkey--or even my grandmother could do it), and you've got yourself a booming business for folks like Amazon, Lulu, and the other big names out there.

So, snogging with the crypt keeper aside (okay, I think that was a flippin' hilarious reference to "kiss of death" but if I had to explain it for you, then it probably wasn't as brilliant as I thought)--ANYHOO, snogging with the crypt keeper aside, this writer has decided to bite the bullet and self-publish my novel, The Heat.*  And if no one except my mom and my best friend buys the book, well, my ego will survive.  Probably.  Maybe.  Sorta.  After all, I'm not Tolstoy or Austen or Stephenie Meyer (tongue in cheek) or anything.  I write chick books.  And not the kind about heaving bosoms and throbbing manhoods.  I write easy reads about real women dealing with the same kind of everyday crap you and I face. 

And if you've read my entire blog post up to this point, then my writing can't suck too bad, eh?  So stay on the lookout for info about my book's release date (in the next week or two through Amazon) and check it out.  My mom will thank you.  She really doesn't want to be the only person posting comments on my blogs.

THE HEAT
Release date:  June 2011



*The Heat
Magnolia Sheldon owns a small Southern cafe.  She has no idea how much her life is about to change when she hires the uber-sexy Max Walker as a part-time cook.  Will Maggie overcome her past and find happiness?  Most of all, when she and Max really start cooking, will she be able to handle the heat?

No comments:

Post a Comment