Sunday, June 5, 2011

Seven Hurdles For New Writers

Hurdle Number One:  SHOW, don't tell.

When I started practicing the craft of writing, this was the first piece of advice I heard from more seasoned writers.  Amateurs tell.  Authors show.

But telling is so easy.  Let's face facts.  Telling is easier, but is it better?  You be the judge:

TELLING:
Jenny became nervous.

SHOWING:
Jenny's hands trembled and a cold sweat dampened the back of her neck.

Which example would you rather read?  Which gives the clearer, more interesting picture?

This rule kicked my butt when I started writing.  I told everything.  I still find myself desiring the lazy way out of telling instead of showing.  I fight the "tell hurdle" every time I write.  Now, unless it slips past me, the only slack I give myself concerning this rule is if my story is in first person and it fits the personality of my main character, who is talking to the reader.  Otherwise, I try to catch those sloppy "tells" and rewrite them.  It takes time, but it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment